The County in collaboration with its municipalities, sewer utilities and authorities and other stakeholders is currently in the process of preparing a countywide wastewater management plan in accordance with the Water Quality Management Planning (WQMP) Rules (N.J.A.C.7:15). Draft and final components of the plan that are currently available to the public are provided below.
The Wastewater Management Plan (WMP) for Somerset County is being completed in phases. Phase I is comprised of the Future Wastewater Service Areas (FWSA) Map for Somerset County which was completed in 2012 and adopted by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection in 2013. Additional mapping was undertaken that supports completion of the FWSA Map and are included below.
- Potential Future Development
- Existing Wastewater Facilities and Areas Served
- Future Wastewater Service Areas
- Preserved Lands
- FWSA and Highlands RMP
- Hydrologic Features
- Water Supply
- Delta Map - Updated and Previously Adopted FWSA-
Montgomery Township and Rocky Hill WMP Component
The following documents represent components of the County Wastewater Management Plan which were developed in accordance with the State Water Quality Management Planning Rules effective as of November 2016.
- Montgomery & Rocky Hill WMP Component Adoption Notice
- Montgomery Township and Rocky Hill Borough Wastewater Management Plan
Draft WMP Mapping Component
The following maps represent a required component of the Somerset County Wastewater Management Plan and have been prepared in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:15-4.3(c). They are considered "draft" until they are adopted by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. They were submitted to the NJDEP for this purpose in November 2020.
- Draft Countywide Map 1 - Wasterwater Management Plan Area
- Draft Countywide Map 2.A - Environmentally Sensitive Features: Habitat
- Draft Countywide Map 2.B - Environmentally Sensitive Features: Water & Wetlands
- Draft Countywide Map 3.A - Existing Wastewater Service Areas
- Draft Countywide Map 3.B - Future Wastewater Service Areas
- Draft Countywide Map 3.C - Existing Areas Served & Areas Contributing to Future Wastewater Flows Within FWSA
- Draft Countywide Map 3.D - Existing Sewerage Authority & Utility Service Boundaries - By Jurisdiction Type
- Draft Countywide Map 3.E - Future Wastewater Service Areas & the Highlands Regional Master Plan
- Draft Map 4 - Municipal Zoning Information Maps
- Draft Countywide Map 5.A - FEMA Flood Hazard Areas
- Draft Countywide Map 5.B - Preserved Lands & Common Areas
- Transmittal of SC WMP Mapping Component to NJDEP
- Draft WMP Map Component Text
Draft Septic Management Plan Component
The following document is comprised of a Countywide overview and municipal-specific chapters that include an inventory of properties served by existing septic systems, an overview of septic management activities presently underway, and proposed future actions to promote increased proper septic maintenance. It was revised and resubmitted for adoption by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection on 9-21-2020.
- Somerset County Planning Board Resolution Authorizing Submission of the Revised Septic Management Plan to NJDEP for Adoption
- Somerset County WMP - Septic Management Plan Component
Draft Wastewater Capacity Analyses and Strategies for Addressing Potential Capacity Deficiencies Component
The following document is comprised of the wastewater treatment plant capacity analysis, nitrate dilution-based septic capacity analysis and strategies for addressing potential capacity deficiencies for Somerset County. This component was developed in accordance with the NJ Department of Environmental Protection’s (NJDEP) Water Quality Management Planning Rules adopted in 2016. Upon adoption by the NJDEP, it will be incorporated into the Northeast, Upper Raritan and Lower Raritan/Middlesex County Water Quality Management Plans via the areawide WQMP amendment procedures at N.J.A.C. 7:15-3.