Mark W. Kirby, Chairman
|Mail:||20 Grove Street, P. O. Box 3000, Somerville, NJ 08876|
- Preserves farmland in Somerset County in perpetuity for our future generations.
- Works with existing preserved farmers to resolve stewardship matters and assist in the implementation of these resolutions.
- Assists in Right-to-Farm matters and mediates where possible, so that residents and farmers can peacefully co-exist.
- Advises the Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders on all agriculturally-related matters.
- Reviews and comments, where applicable, on pertinent legislation relating to the agricultural industry or the New Jersey Farmland Preservation Program.
- Disseminates information to farmers on pending legislation, Best Management Practices, and new technology in the industry.
- Educates the public on the importance of agriculture in Somerset County, and the necessity for not only preserving it, but enhancing and supporting this industry throughout the State of New Jersey.
- Encourages healthy lifestyles by promoting locally-grown agricultural products to our residents.
Since the SCADB’s inception in 1983, we have successfully preserved over 8,900 acres of farmland in Somerset County, with the assistance of our municipalities, the Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders, and the State Agriculture Development Committee.
The SCADB also works with farmers and residents to mediate Right-to-Farm matters throughout the County. We assist farmers in implementing Best Management Practices for their operations, and have hosted, and will continue to host, many seminars and workshops on pressing agricultural issues, pending legislation, and new practices and technology.
Please contact the SCADB for more information on SCADB, Farmland Preservation, Stewardship Matters, or Right-to-Farm.