Update: September 15, 2017
The purpose of this page is to provide information on current construction projects involving Somerset County roads, bridges, traffic signals, and major parks projects. The page is updated when there is a change to the status of a project.
More detailed information about each individual project can be found in the side menu of this page or by clicking on each individual project name below.
Information regarding projects that are currently under design can be found on the side menu of this page or on the Projects Under Design page.
County Construction Projects
Readington Road Reconstruction Project, Branchburg Township
Other Construction Work (e.g. utility work)
- Hillsborough Township: East Mountain Road between Amwell Road (CR 514) and Mountain View Road: The bridge carrying East Mountain Road over the Royce Brook was closed on Tuesday, September 12th at 3:15PM for emergency bridge repairs. This segment of roadway between Amwell Road and Daval Road is closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. It is anticipated that repair work will require approximately 2 weeks to complete and reopen the road. A detour has been posted. (POSTED 9-15-2017)
- Bound Brook / South Bound Brook boroughs: "Queens Bridge Crossing" Main Street (CR 527) over D&R Canal (NJDOT project): The NJDOT bridge carrying Main Street (CR 527) over the D&R Canal will be closed for structural repairs starting on or about 9PM on Friday, September 8th and will remain fully closed to all vehicular traffic for approximately 2 months. A northbound and southbound detour will be posted, utilizing Rt 287. The pedestrian bridge over the D&R Canal and the sidewalks on the Queens Bridge over the Raritan River will remain open throughout the repair work. For more information and local updates, see NJDOT's press release here; Bound Brook's webpage here; and South Bound Brook's webpage here. (POSTED 9-7-2017)
- Bernards Township: South Finley Avenue (CR 640) between Stonehouse Road (CR 613) and Cross Road (NJ TRANSIT project): NJ TRANSIT bridge on the Gladstone Branch MP 31.69 over South Finley Avenue (CR 640). Construction will begin on or about May 3rd. Concrete repairs on the substructure of the subject bridge will impact traffic on South Finley Avenue, necessitating a narrowing and shifting of roadway traffic lanes underneath. UPDATE (8-28-2017): Repair work is still in progress.
- Bernardsville Borough: Mt. Airy Road (CR 525) between West Oak Street and South Street: a new water main to be installed. The working hours are 8pm to 6am, and will start on August 21. The work will last for approximately 2 months. The road closure will be from West Oak to Route 202 with a detour in place utilizing Whitenack Rd and Route 202 for both directions. Any residents will be able to get home that are located within the work zone and the road closure. (POSTED 8-17-17)
- North Plainfield: Netherwood Avenue Bridge Replacement (Union County project): Please be advised that the Netherwood Ave Bridge on the border of Union/Somerset counties in Plainfield will be closed for construction on or about Wednesday, August 30, 2017. The work being performed will consist of complete reconstruction of the bridge. Duration of full closure is anticipated to be 6 months. See Union County's project website here for more information. (POSTED 8-28-2017)
Information about state transportation projects:
Information about municipal transportation projects:
For additional information on current construction projects affecting county roads, contact the Engineering Division.