Testing will be held on Nov. 5, Nov. 13, Nov. 19 and Dec. 2.
11/02/2020 12:01 PM
Free testing will be held between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. at Raritan Valley Community College on Thursday.
10/19/2020 4:12 PM
The free six-week workshop will be held virtually, starting Sept. 29. Pre-registration required.
09/24/2020 3:31 PM
Pre-Planning can help ease the impact of a future crisis, especially during COVID-19
09/17/2020 5:13 PM
Somerset County Department of Health is actively following the actions and guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New Jersey Department of Health regarding the Zika virus and other insect borne diseases.
Somerset County Department of Health will be hosting a number of information events in the community on mosquito awareness and prevention and our "Fight the Bite!" campaign. "Fight the Bite!" educates people on how to protect themselves from insects such as Mosquitoes, Ticks, and Bedbugs.
If you are interested in scheduling a "Fight the Bite!" presentation, please contact us.
Concerned about ticks in your area? Download the TickApp for free to join research efforts and report your tick encounters. You can help by completing short daily surveys using your smartphone for 15 days. Users can even take a picture of a tick and have it identified! To learn more visit: www.thetickapp.org or view the TickApp information flyer.
Fight the Bite!
Insects such as mosquitoes and ticks are a nuisance, but can cause a number of illnesses such as:
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis
- Dengue Fever
- Lyme Disease
- West Nile Virus
- Zika Virus
Steps to prevent mosquito (and other bug) bites
- Wear light colored long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Stay in places with air conditioning or that use window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside.
- If you are overseas or outside, sleep under a mosquito bed net.
- Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents.
- Treat clothing and gear with permethrin or purchase permethrin-treated items.
- Check yourself for ticks and bug bites as soon as you come inside
- Remove any standing water in flower pots, children's toys, old tires, etc.
- Clean and chlorinate pools
- Clear weeds and underbrush and trim shrubs
- Mow your lawn as often as necessary to keep the grass from growing too tall
- Prevent Mosquito Bites
- DEET: General Fact Sheet
- Home and Garden Maintenance Checklist
- How to Choose an Insect Repellent
- Springtime Clean-up Helps Somerset County to "Fight the Bite"
- Somerset County Mosquito Information Page
- Mosquito Bite Prevention for Travelers
Eastern Equine Encephalitis:
Lyme Disease/Tick Information:
West Nile Virus: