Residents have two more chances to place canned goods in plastic bags at the curb to help keep food bank shelves stocked during the summer months.
Try to stay hydrated and as cool as possible during this heatwave.
06/30/2018 11:27 AM
You can get free email or text alerts in the event of inclement weather that affects county roads, programs or services.
Vector-borne illnesses are on the rise nationwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
The Somerset County Department of Health has been named to the 2017-18 New Jersey Influenza Honor Roll.
05/01/2018 3:30 PM
Somerset County Department of Health is actively following the actions and guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New Jersey Department of Health regarding the Zika virus and other insect borne diseases.
Somerset County Department of Health will be hosting a number of information events in the community on mosquito awareness and prevention and our "Fight the Bite!" campaign. "Fight the Bite!" educates people on how to protect themselves from insects such as Mosquitoes, Ticks, and Bedbugs.
If you are interested in scheduling a "Fight the Bite!" presentation, please contact us.
Fight the Bite!
Insects such as mosquitoes and ticks are a nuisance, but can cause a number of illnesses such as:
- Dengue Fever
- West Nile Virus
- Zika Virus
- Lyme Disease
Steps to prevent mosquito (and other bug) bites
- Wear light colored long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Stay in places with air conditioning or that use window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside.
- If you are overseas or outside, sleep under a mosquito bed net.
- Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents.
- Treat clothing and gear with permethrin or purchase permethrin-treated items.
- Check yourself for ticks and bug bites as soon as you come inside
- Remove any standing water in flower pots, children's toys, old tires, etc.
- Clean and chlorinate pools
- Clear weeds and underbrush and trim shrubs
- Mow your lawn as often as necessary to keep the grass from growing too tall
- DEET: General Fact Sheet
- Home and Garden Maintenance Checklist
- How to Choose an Insect Repellent
- Springtime Clean-up Helps Somerset County to "Fight the Bite"
- Somerset County Mosquito Information Page
- Mosquito Bite Prevention for Travelers
Lyme Disease/Tick Information:
West Nile Virus: