Somerset County has established an Emergency Rental Relief Program for County households that had a loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants may be eligible for up to 3 months’ rent or $3,000.00, whichever is less, for payment toward rent that is owed. The Program will only pay rent that is owed and will NOT pay late fees. Payments will be issued directly to the landlord. Note that this program is funded by the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and as a result, residents of Franklin Township, which has its own CDBG program, are not eligible.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a resident of any Somerset County municipality (except Franklin Township which includes Somerset, Franklin Park, East Millstone, and Kingston) and have a current lease or rent agreement.
- Have a household income that is less than the following income limits, based on family size:
|1 person - $66,900||2 people - $76,500||3 people - $86,000||4 people - $95,600|
|5 people - $103,200||6 people - $110,900||7 people -$118,550||8 people - $126,200|
- Be able to prove that your rent payments were current as of March 2020.
- Provide documentation of a COVID- related loss of income after March 9, 2020. Examples include:
- Layoff or Reduced work hours
- Unpaid leave to take care of children due to school and daycare closure
- Self-quarantine for 14 days resulting in a loss of income
- Other consequence of the virus that led to a reduction of income
You must complete an application and submit documentation to receive assistance. For your convenience, required documents can be scanned or photographed using a mobile phone or device and uploaded with this application. This documentation will be used to determine eligibility and must be clear and legible for you to be considered.
DO NOT submit your application until you have gathered ALL required documentation; incomplete applications will be returned and you will have 5 business days to resubmit or your case will be closed. Funds are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis; submitting an application does not guarantee financial assistance will be provided.
Step 1: Print Documentation Checklist to Gather Required Documents
Step 2: Complete and Submit Your Application: You must write your full name on each page of the documents you submit.
There are 3 different ways to apply and submit your application:
- Apply directly online:
- Gather all documentation from CDBG-CV Emergency Rental Relief Required Documentation Checklist (PDF) prior to applying.
- Upload your documents to your computer or device before starting your application.
- Once you reach the "File Uploads" section of the application, be sure to attach all your documents as indicated.
- At the end of the application process, you will have the option of having a copy of your submitted application emailed directly to you.
- Click on the link CDBG-CV Emergency Rental Relief Online Application to begin your application.
2. Print application and submit printed copy via email:
- Print and complete PDF application form: CDBG-CV Emergency Rental Application (PDF)
- Submit the completed package (application and required documents) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “CDBG-CV Rent Relief Assistance, (your last name and first initial)"
3. Request application by mail and submit a paper copy:
- Print a paper copy or request one to be mailed by calling 908-541-5756.
- When you receive it, gather your documents and complete the application form.
- Because the building is closed to the public, you must call the Office at 908-541-5756 before you drop off a completed application, Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 4:30pm.
- Mail your completed application with documents in an envelope addressed to: Community Development, P.O. Box 3000, 27 Warren St. 4th Floor, Somerville, NJ 08876.
- Check your email and voice mail regularly. Applications submitted without complete documentation cannot be processed. You will be contacted by email or phone if any documentation is missing. You will need to submit the missing documentation within 5 business days. If the documentation is not submitted within 5 business days, the application will be considered incomplete, your case will be closed and your file will be shredded.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email or phone call notifying you that your application is either approved or denied. The eligibility decision cannot be appealed. If your situation changes, you may reapply. The review process takes approximately 2 weeks. If you are approved, your landlord will be contacted.
- The program can only make a payment if it will bring the balance of your rent owed to $0. If your rental arrears are more than the maximum the program can provide, you are responsible for the remaining balance. If you get the balance from another source, you must provide documentation that includes the source of funds and the amount. This is not considered a Duplication of Benefit.
- For more information, contact Community Development at 908-541-5756 or email email@example.com