The Personal Assistance Service Program (PASP) is designed to support physically disabled individuals who continue to be active in the community. For eligible candidates, a personal assistant will be assigned to help with routine tasks such as cleaning, cooking, laundry, and other general household chores. The amount of time per week is determined on a case-by-case basis.
To meet the criteria, individuals must be:
- Permanently physically disabled
- Between the ages of 18 and 70
- Active in the community via employment, volunteer work, or education in preparation for employment – dedicating a minimum of 20 hours per month to the activity
- Reside in a community-based residence such as a home, apartment, or condominium (those residing in institutional settings are not eligible)
- Able to self-direct and supervise employees and the services they provide
There are no income limits required to participate in the PASP program. Consumers who meet predetermined income levels may be required to pay a portion of the value of the services received. Such payment is referred to as ‘cost share’ and the amount is determined by a sliding fee scale based on the consumer’s income.
For more information or to apply, contact the Somerset County PASP Coordinator, Amy Cameron at (908) 704-6346. Basic information will be requested during the initial conversation. Application packets will be mailed to eligible candidates. Further assessments will made after the application is completed.
Consumers also may request Self-Care services, including assistance with bowel care, nail clipping, and medications. To determine eligibility, the consumer must be evaluated by a registered nurse.