Robert McCarthy, Director
|Mail:||20 Grove Street, P.O. Box 3000, Somerville, NJ 08876|
|Hours:||7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
On call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
The primary mission of the Bureau of Criminal Identification is the positive identification of suspects, defendants and inmates. This mission also includes professional service to all police agencies within Somerset County, the State of New Jersey; all states nationwide and all Federal law enforcement agencies. All services will be performed promptly, properly and professionally without bias.
Major Functions or Programs
- Criminal files: 80,000 criminal files are maintained
- Somerset County Probation: Uses BCI to update files of probationers.
- Somerset County Police Academy: Initial background checks are done for the alternate route program.
- Background checks for county agencies: BCI services are used for background checks for employment by the following: Somerset County Human Resources, Somerset County Superior Court, and C.A.S.A. for Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties.
- Warrants: Provide information regarding outstanding criminal and traffic warrants and national crime information center (NCIC) warrants to the Somerset County Jail and other law enforcement agencies.
- Missing persons: Information is supplied to local police agencies.
- Somerset County Jail: BCI supplies information regarding bail. All inmates prior to their release on bail, time served or transferred to other institutions are checked for warrants.
- Warrant Sweeps Sheriff’s Office: Assists in the pre-warrant sweep intelligence gathering. During warrant sweeps, BCI fingerprints, processes verifies and classifies all individuals arrested.
- Drug Sweeps Prosecutor’s Office: Fingerprints, photograph, verifies and classifies all arrested individuals.
- Child Fingerprint Program: Fingerprints students in a number of county school districts. After gaining parental permission, children are fingerprinted and parents are given the prints to retain.
- Training: Instructs police recruits basic fingerprinting methods at the Somerset County Police Academy. Provides in-service training for Police Officers.
- Photo Line-Ups: Identification Officers prepare photo line-ups for municipal police departments and the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office.
- Fingerprint Comparisons: Provides identification of suspects and arrestees for police agencies for classification and verification of fingerprints.
- Classification/Verification of Fingerprints: All individuals arrested and/or incarcerated are fingerprinted. The fingerprints are classified and the suspect’s identity is verified.
- DNA Samples: The legislation enacted in September 2003 mandates that every person convicted or found guilty of a crime or by reason of insanity shall have DNA sample taken. The law applied to all individuals sentenced to terms of imprisonment and/or probation for crimes of the first through fourth degree.
- Provide student, teacher and counselor fingerprinting for Raritan Valley Community College
Our many capabilities have been very valuable to the law enforcement communities of Somerset County and the State of New Jersey.
Somerset County Bureau of Criminal Identification is available to assist with fingerprinting for a myriad of reasons, based upon specific need. Please check with your local Police Department to ascertain if they can assist you before contacting us for an appointment. Often, your local Police Department will be able to assist you quickly and efficiently with your needs.
Should you need to make an appointment with the BCI Unit for fingerprinting, please contact us at 908-231-7137 to make an appointment.
Fingerprinting Appointment Times can be scheduled as follows:
|Monday:||9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday:||9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday:||9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
The Somerset County Bureau of Criminal Identification is also available to provide Attorney ID’s for qualified persons. If you fit the criteria, please make an appointment during one of the following times and be sure to bring identification with you to the appointment.
Attorney ID Appointment Times:
|Monday:||7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday:||7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday:||7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
For any further information regarding the BCI unit, please contact supervisor Robert McCarthy at (908)231-7136.