To mail an inmate incarcerated at the Somerset County Jail, be sure you include the Inmates FULL name and Jail Identification Number. Be sure to have the FULL return name and address listed on the mail or the mail will not be delivered.
|EXAMPLE:||(Sender’s Full Name)|
|City, State, Zip|
|(Inmate’s Full Name and Jail Number)|
|Somerset County Jail|
|40 Grove Street|
|Somerville, NJ 08876|
NO CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED AND INAPPROPRIATE FUNDS WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER.
- No items will be permitted through the mail. All items must be purchased through the commissary.
- All non-approved parcels/packages will be returned to the sender.
- Books, newspapers and magazines will ONLY be accepted from the publisher or non-retail distributor. Used books, magazines and other publications that pose a security risk or are deemed pornographic in nature [as defined in N.J.A.C. 10A:31-19.4] will not be permitted.
- Only soft cover books are permitted. No hardcover books or publications are allowed.
- Any publication may be withheld in the mailroom or taken from an inmate’s possession by the warden, his designee or custody staff if it falls within one of the six restricted categories as set forth in N.J.A.C. 10A:31-19.4.
Money orders received in the mail or left by visitors are the ONLY way to add money to an inmate account.
Commissary & Inmate Accounts
An Inmate Account is similar to a bank account, since inmates are not allowed to possess cash while in custody in the Somerset County Jail, the jail maintains an account for the inmate to purchase products from the commissary store. Funds available in the Inmate Account can be used to purchase personal hygiene products, candy, snacks, undergarments, stamps etc. from the commissary store.
If you would like to put funds into an Inmates Account, please note, NEVER send or bring cash. Money Orders are the only means of cash allowed at the Somerset County Jail. When filling out a money order, be sure to make it out to the inmates name and write their jail number in the memo section. The money order can be mailed in or dropped off at the jail between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm.