Robert M. Vance, Tax Administrator
|Mail:||20 Grove Street, P.O. Box 3000, Somerville, NJ 08876|
|Location:||27 Warren Street, 4th Floor, Somerville|
- Maintains all county records on taxable property.
- Supervises and directs all municipal tax assessors.
- Approves all assessments and orders revaluations when necessary to maintain tax equity for all citizens.
- Hears appeals filed by taxpayers on their assessments and orders changes where justified.
Tax Appeal Forms and Information
For the year 2018, any tax assessment appeal must be filed by April 2, 2018 in the following municipalities: Montgomery Township, North Plainfield Borough, Raritan Borough, Somerville Borough and South Bound Brook Borough. With reference to revaluation and reassessment districts, the petition of appeal must be filed by May 1, 2018 and those towns are as follows: Bedminster Township, Bernards Township, Bernardsville Borough, Bound Brook Borough, Branchburg Township, Bridgewater Township, Far Hills Borough, Franklin Township, Green Brook Township, Hillsborough Township, Manville Borough, Millstone Borough, Peapack-Gladstone Borough, Rocky Hill Borough, Warren Township and Watchung Borough.
The following forms are available to download to file an appeal. The Petition of Appeal should not be filed until after you receive the postcard notice of the 2018 assessment and will not be accepted by our office until that time (generally around mid- February). Before the end of the year, it may be helpful to contact your municipal assessor if you have questions regarding your assessment. You may find that an appeal is not necessary.
Tax Appeal Form With Instructions
Comparable Sales Analysis Form with Instructions
Legal Guidelines for Tax Appeal Process
Understanding Tax Appeal Hearings
Instruction Regarding Comparable Sales
Added and Omitted Appeal Form (Deadline to appeal an added assessment is December 1st)
Municipal Assessor Contacts
To look up sales information to help verify comparable sales, you may find this link for the SR1A Search useful. Follow the instructions on the page to find out when properties sold, if it is listed as a "usable" sale and for how much.
To search for your assessment information and to reprint the assessment notice postcard, you may click on this link, Records Search and follow the instructions.
Tax Board Proceedings
Regular Tax Board Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 12 noon with the exception of the Re-organization meeting on Monday, May 1, 2019.
2017 Minutes 2018 Minutes
Appeal Hearing Dates
The hearing dates for the 2018 appeals have been concluded and all judgments have been sent. Appeal hearings for Rollbacks will be on September 11, 2018 at 1:00 pm.
The judgment of the county board of taxation may be appealed to the Tax Court of New Jersey by filing a complaint with the Tax Court Management Office within 45 days from the date of the mailing of the judgment. The Tax Court of New Jersey is located at the Richard J Hughes Justice Complex, 25 Market Street, Trenton, NJ.
Mailing Address: PO Box 972, Trenton, NJ 06825-0972. Phone number: (609) 292-5082
Publications from the Tax Board
Final Equalization Tables
- 2018 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
- 2017 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
- 2016 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
- 2015 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
- 2014 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
- 2013 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
- 2012 Final Equalization Table for Somerset County
Abstract of Ratables
- 2018 Abstract of Ratables
- 2017 Abstract of Ratables
- 2016 Abstract of Ratables
- 2015 Abstract of Ratables
- 2014 Abstract of Ratables
- 2013 Abstract of Ratables
- 2012 Abstract of Ratables
Abstract of Added & Omitted Assessments
- 2018 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
- 2017 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
- 2016 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
- 2015 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
- 2014 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
- 2013 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
- 2012 Abstract of Added/Omitted Assessments
Breakdown of County Tax Rates by Municipality