All COVID vaccination appointments are filled at this time. Please do not call the Health Dept for appointments. 

Are you a victim of Financial Crime

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Office of Victim Witness Advocacy

FinancialThe Impact of Financial Crime 

The impact of a financial crime may have serious and long-term consequences. Individuals who experience financial crimes report feeling isolated, hopeless, and betrayed, but there is help. We realize you will most likely have questions about how your case will be handled and what services and information will be available to you.

How do I get Information About My Case?

You may contact the Victim Advocate on an ongoing basis. It is very important that you report any address changes you have during the criminal investigation, prosecution, and incarceration of the defendant.

How Do I Request Restitution?

Collect and save all documents and electronic transmissions that directly relate to your loss. If an arrest is made and a conviction is obtained, the judge may require the offender to pay restitution.

Restitution is the money a judge orders the convicted offender/defendant to pay to the victim to compensate for monetary losses due to the crime. Usually, restitution is awarded for medical bills and /or property theft or damage. Restitution is part of the sentence and can be ordered in both adult and juvenile cases following a conviction or delinquent adjudication.

The amount of restitution ordered by the Judge depends upon the victim’s proof of losses and the offender’s ability to pay. The offender usually has the entire term of their sentence to pay restitution.

Restitution can be requested on the Victim Impact Information Form that is mailed to victims from the Office of Victim Witness Advocacy. Victims can also send restitution requests without using the standard form. It is important to send copies of any bills, receipts, credit card statements, auto repair estimates etc. with your request.

How Is Restitution Paid by the Defendant?

The State of New Jersey will mail you a check once a month with the amount the defendant paid the previous month. The defendant will not send payments directly to you. The collection of restitution is based on defendant’s sentence.

Defendant is sentenced to probation: The assigned probation officer will place the probationer on a monthly payment plan.
For information about restitution for defendants on probation please call Somerset County Probation Department at 908-231-7111.

Defendant is sentenced to state prison: While in state prison defendants have the opportunity to earn money through work programs. A percentage of the defendant’s earnings are garnished and used to pay fines, penalties and restitution. The facility where the defendant is incarcerated will send the payments to the victim.

Defendant is paroled or a participant in the Intensive Supervision Program: The defendant’s parole officer is responsible for monitoring payment plans while the defendant is on parole. Payments are sent to the State and mailed to the victim from the Department of Collections Revenue Unit.

For Information while on parole, while serving a prison sentence or after release from prison contact the New Jersey Department of Corrections Revenue Unit at (609) 292-9213.

New Jersey Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights – N.J.S.A. 52:4B-36