MOTORISTS in New Jersey MUST stop for pedestrians in a marked crosswalk.
Tips for motorists:
- Stop for pedestrians in marked crosswalks.
- Watch for pedestrians when turning right on red
- Obey speed limits
- Do not block or park in crosswalks
- Keep your windshield clean for maximum visibility
- Be alert for pedestrian at all times
PEDESTRIANS MUST obey pedestrian signals and use crosswalks at signalized intersections.
Tips to be a Safe Pedestrian:
- Always cross at corners, within marked crosswalks where available
- Always cross perpendicular to the road never diagonally
- If crossing in other locations, yield the right of way to vehicles.
- Look left, right and left again before crossing. Watch for turning cars.
- Always walk facing traffic
- Obey traffic signals, especially “Walk/Don’t Walk.”
- Remain alert! Don’t assume that drivers of approaching cars see you
- Never take your eyes off the vehicles as they near you. If you’ve underestimated
- the speed of the car and the driver can’t see you, this could have a tragic result.
- Wear reflective clothing when walking at night
- Stay sober. Walking while impaired greatly increases your chances of being struck.
Download Pedestrian Safety Card