Somerset County provides immediate access to a variety of documents online. Electronic access to records includes, but is not limited to:
- Board of Chosen Freeholder meeting agendas and minutes.
- Certain Boards, Commissions, and Authorities meeting agendas and minutes.
- Financial and budget information.
- Commonly requested forms from the County Clerk, Human Services, Election Board, and Tax Board.
- Property records, election information, and archived historical documents as recorded by the Somerset County Clerk.
- Tax maps, tax appeal judgments, tax rates certifications, and more from the Tax Board.
All other requests for public records must be submitted using the OPRA Request Form - Interactive PDF. The requestor must fill out each portion that is applicable to the request made. The fully completed form shall be submitted to the Custodian of Records either electronically by clicking the submit button at the end of the form OR by regular mail to:
Andrea Clegg, Acting Custodian of Records
County Administration Building
20 Grove Street
P.O. Box 3000
Somerville, New Jersey 08876-1262
Acrobat Reader must be used to complete and submit the form electronically and can be downloaded by clicking the icon at the bottom of this page. Be sure to open and complete the application form in Acrobat Reader, rather than within your browser.
The printed version of the PDF form may be mailed or dropped off in person to the Custodian of Records at the above address between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday or faxed to 908-231-8754.
Questions about the Official OPRA Request Form prior to submission may be directed to the Custodian of Records by phone at 908-231-7030 or via e-mail at OPRA@co.somerset.nj.us.
Public records will normally be available in accordance with P.L. 2001, c. 404, within seven (7) business days, not including weekends or holidays. Some records will be immediately available. In general:
- Immediate access ordinarily shall be granted to budgets, certain bills, vouchers, contracts, including collective negotiations and individual employment contracts, and public employee salary and overtime information.
- Minutes of public meetings will be generally available immediately after the minutes have been approved by the Board of Chosen Freeholders.
- Records which are not readily available or which will require a search of records will be made available as soon as possible and the requestor will be provided with an interim report within seven (7) business days, not including weekends and holidays, indicating the amount of time which will be required to complete the search of the records.
Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, the fee assessed for the duplication of a printed record shall be: letter size $0.05 per page and legal size $0.07 per page. Other medium (CD, DVD etc.) are at the actual cost of materials.
When appropriate, special charges may be requested dependent upon the nature of the specific request.
Where a legal determination must be made as to whether the records are "public records" as provided by law, the request will be reviewed by County Counsel and will be generally provided immediately after the Custodian of Records receives the determination from the County Counsel or a court that the records should be provided.
There is no fee for inspecting a public record during normal business hours.
Any person who is denied, in whole or in part, access to any record he or she requests, may appeal the denial either through the filing of an action in Somerset County Superior Court or by filing a complaint with the New Jersey Government Records Council.
*If an e-mail address is provided, it will be used for communication purposes only. Information requested will not be sent to the requestor electronically. Upon submission of this form you will receive an e-mail message regarding any applicable charges for your request, payment details and any other information required. Cancellation of any request must be made within 24 hours of the date of our e-mail sent to you.