The data presented below is derived from various sources, including the
U.S. Census Bureau, 2012 American Community Survey (ACS),the New Jersey
Department of Community Affairs 2013 2nd Quarter Average and Median New
Sales Prices for Homes with New Home Warranties; the Somerset County
Park Commission; and the Somerset County Planning Board.
1. What is the County's population?
(2012 ACS 1Year Estimates)
2. What is the total number of dwelling units, and households in the
Dwelling units 124,300 +- 377 (2012 ACS 1 Year Estimates)
Households 116,840 +- 1,645
3. What was the racial composition of the County including Hispanic
and non-Hispanic in 2012?
White 226,376 (69.1%)
Black 29,335 (9.0%)
American Indian 265 (0.1%)
Asian 50,289 (15.3%)
Pacific Islander 63 (0.0%)
Other races 15,980 (4.9%)
Hispanic population, which includes persons of any race 44,380
(13.5%) and Non-Hispanic 283,327 (86.5%) ( 2012 ACS 1 Year Estimates)
4. What are the Countys median household income, per capita income
and poverty rates?
Median household income - $95,825 +-4,704 (2012 ACS 1 Year Estimate)
Per capita income - $46,282 +-1,941
Poverty rate 3,892 families countywide
5. What ancestries do County residents claim?
Total number of different ancestries reported 246,898 +- 41,521
(2012 1 Year Estimate ACS)
6. What is the County population under 19 and over 65 years of age?
19 years old and under 86,200+- 3,890 persons (2012 ACS I Year
Over 65 43,619 persons+-3,133 (2012 ACS 1 Year Estimates)
7. What is the total number of employees working in the private
sector covered by unemployment insurance? What is the total number of
local, county, state and federal government workers?
Private sector employees 138,293+- 3,495 (2012 ACS 1 Year Estimates):
Government employees (NJDOLWFD Data Tools Quarterly Census of
Employment and Wages 2012 Annual Summary Report)
Local government 13,861
State government 662
Federal government 1,706
8. What is the land area and
population density of the County?
Land area - 305.5 square miles
Population density 1,072.7 persons per square mile (2012 ACS 1Year
9. How much does new housing cost in Somerset County?
Average new sales price - $652,260 3rd Quarter (2012)
Median new sales price - $595,164 3rd Quarter (2012)
(NJ Department of Community Affairs Construction Reporter,
Average and Median Sales Prices of New Homes issued New Home Warranties
10. What is the Countys level of educational attainment? How many
residents have high school, bachelor and advanced college degrees?
Residents held various educational degrees in (ACS 2012 1 Year
High school - (93.6%) +-1.0%
Bachelor degree - (51.9%) +-2.0%
Advanced college degrees - (23.5% +- 1.5%)
11. Where can I
find statistics describing schools in the County?
12. How many acres of parkland and preserved farms are in Somerset
Within the County Park system approximately 13,302 acres (December
Tom Boccino to supply information to public information
Preserved farmland 8,069 acres (2012) Tara Kenyon to provide
13. How many low-and-moderate income qualified housing units are
Approximately 6,216 total completed and proposed low and moderate
income housing units (2012) Somerset County Low and Moderate Income and
Inclusionary Housing Developments in Somerset County Map April 2013
Additional information on affordable housing can be found at:
14. How long is the average work trip?
minutes +/-0.9 (ACS 2012 ! Year Estimates)
15. What percentage of county residents drive alone to work
Approximately 77.6 % +-1.9% (2012 ACS 1 Year Estimates)
To access additional county
and municipal census and demographic data,
please visit the State
Data Center Web site: